Living on one income is not always easy and food is easily one of our biggest expenses. Store bought snacks are more costly and often not has healthy than homemade. Over the years I have developed a go-to list snacks to choose from for my children. Children often snack more than adults and need to have something quick. And I often do not want to stand in the kitchen any longer than I already do.
Below is my list favorite snacks for my children. Minus the snack that calls for Nutella. My son has severe food allergies and we avoid nuts at all costs.
FRUGAL SNACK IDEAS
- Hard boiled eggs. Make them on Sunday and eat them all week long.
- Possible combinations using a tortilla shell. Pepperoni, sliced turkey, and cheese. Peanut butter or soy butter with a bit of jam or sliced bananas. Hummus and cucumbers. Refried beans, chopped green pepper, and cheese. Think outside the box, there are many possibly frugal yet healthy combinations.
- Smoothies. Yogurt, frozen fruit of choice, (use ice if fruit is not frozen), and splash of milk or juice in the blender.
- Trail mix. Popcorn, raisins, peanuts, cranberries, cheerios, granola, chocolate chips. Make up a large batch all at once and eat all week. Use in lunches or for snacks.
- Crunchy chickpeas. Cook a 15 oz can of drained chickpeas in an ovenproof skillet with two tablespoons olive oil and one teaspoon cumin and smoked paprika for two minutes. Season with salt, then bake for twenty minutes at 425 degrees F.
- Sliced apples dipped in yogurt or peanut butter.
- Ritz pizzas. Ritz crackers (we used generic), top with pizza sauce (homemade), one pepperoni slice, and mozzarella cheese. Bake for 5 minutes until done, or you can use the microwave.
- Eggs + flour + nutella = easy brownies. (I have to admit while these sound delicious, I have yet to try them) Recipe here.
- Frozen yogurt covered blueberries (or any small round fruit). These are delicious, so easy, and my kids loved them. Recipe here.
- Fluffy Jello Squares
- Cheese sticks
- Brownie bites
- Homemade muffins
- Cottage cheese
- Grapes. Flash freeze grapes on a cookie sheet in the freezer for a few hours. Grab and go.
- Energy bars
What are your go to fast, frugal, and healthy snacks?
Please share in the comments below.