In homemaking there is one chore that is often overwhelming and rarely done. No, I am not talking about cleaning your bathroom or doing your laundry. That is a story for another day.
I am talking about cleaning your refrigerator. The one chore that I have seen literally dozens of women in my life just plain ignore. And ya’ll know what happens if we ignore it, it just gets plain messy and disgusting.
Am I saying that we need to be all rigid and uptight about our refrigerators? Not at all. So, you may ask, Stephanie exactly what are you doing talking about my fridge for?
Well, if you think about the fridge there is where we keep our food. The very food that nourishes our bodies.
My number one reason why we should take care of our fridge is that we eat the food that comes out of it. Would you go to a garbage can and eat food straight from the can? Most people would not, so why then do we allow our fridges to often look like a garbage can?
FOLLOW A ROUTINE
If anybody has followed me for any length of time, then you know that I am a big believer in following a routine. Routines are important because they allow us the freedom to run our household smoothly, be organized, and be more efficient in all that we do.
Routines, if run properly, do not have to be confining or a bore. Without my routine, I know that my household would suffer greatly under constant disorganization and lack of efficiency.
Cleaning my fridge is part of my Friday routine. Every Friday I clean my fridge along with a myriad of other tasks, but almost without fail every Friday for the past 20 years I clean my fridge. It takes me no more than 15 minutes.
Want to know how to clean your fridge in with easy routine?
HOW TO DEEP CLEAN YOUR FRIDGE
This is how my great-grandmother, grandmother, and mother have cleaned it for years. It is a simple, efficient, and economical way to clean your fridge and reduce food waste as well.
- Empty your fridge and freezer of everything, including the shelving. This includes the top of the fridge and the exterior as well.
- Soak shelving in hot soapy water. It will remain in there while you are cleaning the interior.
- If you have scraps of food, particles of food, or caked on substances put it in the trash can.
- In the fridge spray down the interior with a 1:1 ratio of vinegar and water. Let it sit for 5 minutes and spray again. Leave it alone for another 5 minutes.
- Using a cleaning rag wipe down the interior.
- Steps #3 and #4 may have to be repeated a few times until the interior is completely clean.
- Using a bottle of window cleaner, spray, and wipe down all interior surfaces.
- Wipe down the shelving.
- Put shelving back in the fridge.
- Spray the exterior of the fridge with the vinegar-water solution. Wipe down. This made need to be done 2-3X to remove all of that grime.
- Spray the top of the fridge with the vinegar-water solution. Wipe down. Again this may need to be done 2-3X as well.
- Once everything is cleaned this is the time to go through your food. Throw away all outdated food. Wipe down all containers of food and condiments. Put food back in the fridge in an organized manner. Sort according to produce, dairy, condiments, meats, and such. It is easier to find food if you know where it is.
- Label food that is difficult to see what it is.
- You may need to arrange your shelving in a manner that accommodates your food containers and accessibility.
You are done!
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR FRIDGE IN LESS THAN 15 MINUTES
*If you have deep cleaned your fridge than you can follow this simple routine on a regular basis to maintain a clean fridge.
- Empty one shelf at a time.
- Using a cleaning rag and the vinegar-water solution spray and wipe down one shelf at a time.
- Remove food that is outdated and pull the soon-to-be-expired food to the front so it can be eaten first and not forgotten.
- Wipe down door handles, crevices, and a quick swipe of the top of the fridge.
*This should only take a few minutes and I tend to do this on Friday’s after I go grocery shopping. It is easier to do at the same time as putting groceries away, otherwise, you are removing food twice from the fridge.